Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Oldies



I use to think Jesus was for the oldies
Like, a visitor they'd speak of but would never stay
Like, God that walked the lonely road long ago but... at present was on holiday
Like, He was all about eternal preservation... but was unconcerned with the fading


He was full of rules preached by those that called them "good news"
Rules I watched frustrate those I loved
It was a hard government to choose
And run

Clumsy hands trying to grasp their second chance
Certifying themselves with levels like Learners to Advanced
And I tip-toed around their dance but didn't really care for the steps they were taking
I just kept watching how the world was breaking

A bystander in a world full of goodbyes.

Remaining purposeless while I waiting to die
Excusing my ways like, "Oh that? That's ok. And that.. well that's alright!"
Mine were the feet that walked unidentified

Until the night my life was threatened
By the enemy's weapon...

I didn't know hands could be invisible.

I didn't even know I wasn't invincible.

But they found me in my state of peaceful sleep
Took indifferent skies and made them weep

The world closed in all around me because...
They found me
They found me!
And I just let them be!
Because I didn't even know I could be free!

They took me to dreams I'd never seen and never wanted to see again
Until I said a name that birthed.

Forth.

Heaven.

That name I'd grown up around.
Always just outta reach.
Just outta town.

Jesus. Jesus. Jesus!
And I was released
Like a whole city of thoughts fell apart around me

Jesus.

A name I had to take into consideration because.
Because:
"Come thou fount of every blessing...
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the Mount!
I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love."

Because.
Because I saw what they had seen!
There were dreamed of Jesus to be dreamt
And my song became Hallelujah like:
"Hallelujah!
I'm caving in!
Hallelujah!
I'm in Love again!"

And now?

Now His story walks with mine
As we walk together unto the ends of time

I mean His breath has filled my lungs!
So now I know Jesus didn't just come for the oldies.
He came for the young.

No comments:

Post a Comment